Nashville Haunted & Ghost Tours
Tour Nashville ghost stories and the paranormal, explore Nashville legends,, haunting tales of murder and the ill-fate from walking tours of downtown pubs, popular Nashville landmarks that are haunted. Downtown Nashville in the former red-light district to employees experincing spooky encounters with the paranormal in pubs on Broadway and 2nd ave and Printers Ally and popular landmarks such as the Ryman Auditorium and Tennessee State Capital.
Drive farther into Middle Tennessee popular legends like the Bell Witch, Thomas House, Old South Pittsburgh Hospital and more.
From the paranormal investigators to those who just enjoy a good ghost story then Nashville welcomes you to find your own ghost adventures.
Downtown Nashville Haunted Ghost Tours
(1001 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203)
There are many rumors regarding the hauntings of the Union Station. Some claim that a train derailment and the subsequent deaths have caused ghosts to linger at what was their last boarding stop. Others tell of a spooky woman seen jumping from the building to her death, and her death is almost always associated with the reports of Room 711 being haunted.First off is a jilted young woman is rumored to haunt the Union Station Hotel. She is said to have thrown herself on the tracks, forever chaining herself to the opulent downtown rest.Second is of course you have the requisite loud bangs, lights and tv sets turning on and off.
There’s also the phantom train which rolls into the station on full moons, and the occasional sound of a steam locomotive. Though only a hotel since the 1980’s, perhaps the most gruesome story involves a young woman who used to meet her married lover there. When he didn’t arrive for a scheduled tryst, she turned a revolver on herself in Room 711 but others have said she jumped from the building. She’s made her presence known both in that room, as well as adjacent rooms and the hall outside.
Walking Downtown Ghost Haunt Tour
Lower Broadway and 2nd Ave are plentiful most likely because they are the oldest sections of Nashville. For detailed information I would recommend the book Nashville Haunted Handbook which can be partially viewed for free here.
Merchants Restaurant (401 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203) Melting Pot (166 2nd Ave N, Nashville, TN 37201) Riverfront Tavern (101 Church St, Nashville, TN 37201) Hard Rock Cafe (100 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37201) Flying Saucer (111 10th Ave S #310, Nashville, TN 37203) These businesses have closed but the addresses are 122 3rd Ave S, Nashville, TN 37201, 117 2nd Ave N; Nashville, Tennessee 37201, 134 2nd Ave N, Nashville, TN 37201
Music Row Ghost and Haunted Buildings
(1111 16th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37212)
In the early 1900s, Jacob Schnell built the grandest mansion in Nashville at, on what would come to be known as Music Row. Schnell was a successful grain merchant, but was reputed to have made his real money bootlegging.
According to Nashville Ghosts and Legends by Ken Traylor and Delas M. House, Jr. “employees started noticing strange events in the Capital Records building: objects moving on their own, doors being locked from the inside, lights being turned on and off, windows found open that had been closed and locked. For a long time Capital found it difficult to keep employees, telling their supervisors they could not get used to the strange events, including posthumous visits by the Schnell daughters.” Capital Records moved locations and have seen struggled to sell their former building. Certain second-floor rooms would remain icy cold, even when controlled by a common heating system. Computers and printers would misbehave in bizarre ways. Unexplained minor fires and pipe breaks occurred and even locks would lock on their own and keys wouldn’t work.
Today, cold spots are commonplace and phone lines from unused internal offices often ring. Images of Bertha and her sister Lena have been seen and noises like sounds falling have been heard. Sometimes the ghosts do not want to be on TV. When Ann Heywood was terrorized by a ghost that she called “The Lady ” back in the Seventies, the ghost also threatened two reporters from “The Tennessean” newspaper and a WSM-TV news reporter who came to document the case. The whole story was featured in Winer’s follow-up book, More Haunted Houses.
(600 Dr. M.L.K. Jr Blvd, Nashville, TN 37243)
Legend has it that at State Capitol, you may still hear the phantom arguing of two rivals who were both buried in a vault here. Architect William Strickland and Samuel Morgan, head of the Capitol Commission, although they were both respected men, they did not get along.The nine year project often had Strickland and Morgan screaming at each other. William Strickland died in 1854 and is interred in a vault in the northeast corner of the Capitol. Samuel Moran died in 1880 and was placed in the southeast corner of the Capitol
One ghost tale is that of Confederate soldier who has been seen inside and outside the Capitol building. Furniture would be moved back to where it was if moved on its own. People have been yelled at and shoved before by a mysterious spirit.
President James K. Polk’s Tomb is in the northeast section of Capitol grounds. Polk was the 11th President and after his first term, he did not want to run again and moved back into Polk Place where James K. Polk and his wife Sarah Childress Polk, originally on Vine Street now 211 7th Avenue N, Nashville, Tennessee before it was demolished in 1901 and small apartment tower was put in its place. James K Polk died in 1849 at 53 of cholera. and was bured at the residence. After his death his wife continued to reside there for 42 years until her death in 1891. The home was demolished in 1901, a decade after her death.
The thought is the re-interment of President Polk and his wife may have stirred up their spirits. Ghost Hunters have seen dark shadows, and strange figures have been seen in photographs of the tomb.
Yet another ghost story of the state Capitol is people seeing a woman walking about the tower of the Capitol both day and night time. Tennessee is one of the few capitol buildings without a dome.
(4580 Rachels Ln, Hermitage, TN 37076)
There’s no shortage of close counters and spooky experiences there.A lot of the tales come from the interpreters who work there as they spend the most time of anyone there. Many ghost sightings happen upstairs in the mansion, right near Jackson’s beloved grand daughter’s bedroom. “There’s stories of the dolls sitting up on their own, “Interpretive Manager Mike Zimmerman said. “We have interpreters tell me about a presence, a tugging on the back of her dress, someone trying to get her attention like a little kid down below, she turns around and no one is there. There’s no children in the group or in the house.”
Jackson’s granddaughter Rachel was his pride and joy. It’s believed she still frequents her favorite room in the mansion as well.Of course, any cemetery tells the story of the people who are buried there and they’re eerie all on their own.A rarity for most past presidents is being buried away from Washington, D.C. Andrew Jackson is one of the few who is buried at his home in Hermitage. The general also buried his wife Rachel there just before they were set to leave Tennessee and head to the White House for his term. It’s believed there was a heavy smear campaign against Rachel because she was married to another man before Jackson. Rachel was buried in the inaugural ball gown she was supposed to wear in Washington, D.C. “The interpretive staff who’s usually out here, typically around 4 o’clock when the general would come out at this time, they would hear the animals or hear the gravel move as they’re out here so to feel a presence out here with them and someone paying their respects to Rachel too,” Zimmerman said. “I mean it’s not only them you have here which is powerful on its own, but you have an entire family cemetery with four generations of Jacksons as well.”
(1001 4th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37203)
Boulder tombstone with a lantern on top of the rock is nicknamed Suicide Rock after Ann Sanders who died at 21 years old is rumored to have gotten in a fight with her husband and have jumped to her death in the Cumberland River and the husband took a chunk of the cliff to be over her tomb. Supposedly you see the lantern being lit and sometimes you will hear crying or arguing near the stone. Sometimes a figure of a man in period clothing will be seen near the rock.
(1399 Sam Davis Road Smyrna, TN 37167)
Plantation now is a house museum, was built around 1810 but was restored completely in 1850. Sam Davis himself lived here until 1860 and in 1863 he was hanged by the Union Army as a spy. Apparitions of a young man, believed to be Sam Davis’ brother Oscar, and sounds have been heard, including the sound of a woman crying where Sam Davis’ body was laid in state in the parlor. Footsteps, voices, and electronic voice phenomena, and electrical anomalies have been reported as well.
(1345 Eastern Flank Cir, Franklin, TN 37064)
You can see blood stains on the floors. A graveyard where 1700 Confederate soldiers, who had died in the fields near this mansion were hastily buried after this bloody conflict, is located close to Carnton Mansion. After the horrible battle was over, Carnton Mansion became a hospital, where 4 generals died of their wounds, and their bodies laid in state so the men who were lucky enough to survive could show their respect. A young house servant girl was murdered in the kitchen by a jealous field hand in the 1840s, because she rejected him as a suitor. Out of their five offspring, only 2 of the Cantron children made it into adulthood.For much more information on this Carnton Mansion check out this website.
(116 5th Ave N, Nashville, TN 37219)
The mother church of country music is a popular Nashville spot to fans of country music and the paranormal, but don’t believe those crazy tabloid stories of the place being trashed by the ghosts of dead rockers. Staff and tourists have heard the voices of their favorite departed country stars here where those classic stars of yesteryear delighted in entertaining millions. A construction worker who got locked in while exploring the building has seen Hank Williams’s ghost in the structure. Another singer was practicing one of Hank’s songs when all the lights went out in the middle of the song.Employees have also heard footsteps and doors opening and closing under their own power. Doors often slam by themselves and employees have reported odd noises from the stage when the building is empty. Captain Thomas Ryman originally built the place as a church, but it became known locally as the Grand Old Opry. The late Hank Williams has been heard singing backstage and a figure of a man in a Confederate uniform dubbed “The Gray Man” has been seen in the same seat during modern-day rehearsals.
(139 Rockcastle Ln, Hendersonville, TN 37075)
Rumors were that there were ghosts at the Rock Castle landmark. Old Halloween articles repeated the stories that curators running this museum reported things being moved and displays disturbed after the structure had been locked up tight. Historic Rock Castle is considered one of the first permanent homes, as well as the oldest building, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Middle Tennessee. They have tours throughout the week and weekend.
(1825 Wilson Pike, Brentwood, TN 37027)
Ravenswood is an 1825 Antebellum Mansion that is known for a few deaths on the property and has been an active place during paranormal investigations.
Thomas Wilson immigrated to America from Ireland in the mid 1700’s and followed the migration trail down through Virginia and the Carolinas and finally over into Tennessee where he settled in the late 1700’s. His grandson, James Hazard Wilson II, who built Ravenswood was born in 1800 and would be one of several children by James Hazard Wilson, Sr. and Ruth Davidson Wilson. James II grew up in Williamson County and chose to remain here and start a family while his brother, Samuel, moved west to Texas and became one of the first Secretaries of State after it’s admission to the Union in 1845.
In March of 1821, James Hazard Wilson II married his cousin Emeline Wilson. Prominent Tennessee and Texas historical figure Sam Houston served as the best man at his wedding. James and Emeline would settle in Brentwood and build their home in 1825. The home was christened Ravenswood in honor of their friend Sam Houston whose Cherokee Indian name was “the Raven”, most likely due to the jet black hair of his youth.
(For many more places and the back story to them I would recommend the Nashville Haunted Handbook)
( 6404 Centennial Boulevard, Nashville, TN 37209)
Currently boarded up due to unsafe conditions and on state owned grounds – Opened in 1898, the prison has been closed since 1992. It has been the location for the films Nashville, Marie, Ernest Goes to Jail, Against the Wall, The Green Mile, The Last Castle, two of Eric Church’s music videos “Lightning” and “Homeboy”, and Pillar’s “Bring Me Down” music video. Most recently VH1’s Celebrity Paranormal Project filmed there for the third episode of the series (titled “The Warden”) as well as the last episode of the first season (titled “Dead Man Walking”). The prison was referred to as “The Walls Maximum Security Prison” in both episodes to protect the location’s privacy. After its many fires, prison breaks and riots, the prison may well be a spot for paranormal activity. Folks have reported unexplained sounds, voices and footsteps.
Regional Middle Tennessee Haunted Areas of Interest
Tales of ghosts, spirits, haunted homes and unexplained encounters throughout Middle Tennessee.
The Legend of the Bell Witch
Bell Witch Cave (430 Keysburg Rd, Adams, TN 37010) about an hour from Nashville is probably the most famous haunting in the area. It inspired the movie An American Haunting starring Cissy Spacek and Donald Sutherland and Ghost Adventures have investigated there.
The tormenting spirit of America’s best-known poltergeist case
ADAMS, TENNESSEE, in 1817 was the site of one of the most well-known hauntings in American history – so well known that it eventually caught the attention and then the involvement of a future president of the United States Andrew Jackson. The Bell Witch incident is one of the most well-known hauntings in the United States. It’s frequently stated that it’s the only known incident of a ghost legally being responsible for the death of a person, the patriarch of the Bell family, John Bell Sr.
Known as The Bell Witch, the strange and often violent poltergeist activity that provoked fear and curiosity in the small farming community has remained unexplained for nearly 200 years, and is the inspiration for many fictional ghost stories, including the horror classic, The Blair Witch Project.
The facts of The Bell Witch case share little in common with the mythology created for The Blair Witch Project, except they both attracted a great deal of public interest. And because it really happened, The Bell Witch is far scarier.
THE HISTORICAL RECORD
One early account of The Bell Witch haunting was written in 1886 by historian Albert Virgil Goodpasture in his History of Tennessee.
He wrote, in part:
A remarkable occurrence, which attracted wide-spread interest, was connected with the family of John Bell, who settled near what is now Adams Station about 1804. So great was the excitement that people came from hundreds of miles around to witness the manifestations of what was popularly known as the “Bell Witch.” This witch was supposed to be some spiritual being having the voice and attributes of a woman. It was invisible to the eye, yet it would hold conversation and even shake hands with certain individuals. The freaks it performed were wonderful and seemingly designed to annoy the family. It would take the sugar from the bowls, spill the milk, take the quilts from the beds, slap and pinch the children, and then laugh at the discomfiture of its victims. At first it was supposed to be a good spirit, but its subsequent acts, together with the curses with which it supplemented its remarks, proved the contrary. A volume might be written concerning the performance of this wonderful being, as they are now described by contemporaries and their descendants. That all this actually occurred will not be disputed, nor will a rational explanation be attempted.
(520 E Main St, Red Boiling Springs, TN 37150)
As featured in Paranormal State and Ghost Hunters (TAPS) has moving Beds, Dark Figures, Cold Spots, Disembodied Voices and Feelings of Terror are experienced regularly here. Built in 1880’s as a Mineral Spring Resort, this historic and haunted location has seen it’s share of hauntings including sitting on top of an Ancient Indian Trail, A Lay Line, Solid Limestone, Underground Springs, A stopping point for the Union Troops for the Civil War, Fires, Deaths, Disappearances and even a one time home for a Cult!
(1100 Holly Ave, South Pittsburg, TN 37380)
The Old South Pittsburg Hospital is considered by many to be one of the most haunted places in Tennessee. If you are interested in experiencing a haunted hospital firsthand or would like to indulge in overnight ghost hunting, this is the place to be.
Throughout the history of the hospital, many have reported various types of paranormal activity. Many believe that the hauntings could be a direct result of the colorful past related to the land that the hospital sits on. Others believe the activity stems from the injuries, illnesses and deaths that occurred while the Old South Pittsburg Hospital serviced the community. Regardless of what has resulted in the paranormal activity, one thing is certain – this hospital is considered to be one of the most haunted places in Tennessee. Many paranormal investigators have conducted overnight ghost hunting tours and have acquired evidence that indicates that something unusual is occurring in and around the structure. This evidence as well as the stories from locals, past employees and other individuals all point to the fact that this haunted hospital has many stories it wants to share. The following highlights some of the stories surrounding the Old South Pittsburg Hospital:
• Many employees that worked at this hospital when it was in full operation share stories of many unusual events that occurred during their shifts. It was not at all uncommon for these employees to observe various inanimate objects such as medicine carts, hospital beds, wheelchairs and other items seemingly moving on their own. Individuals on overnight ghost hunting adventures have also observed this phenomenon. This is one reason it is considered to be one of the most haunted places in Tennessee.
• Many individuals employed by the Old South Pittsburg Hospital claim that they have observed dark, shadow figures in the corridors and rooms of the structure. Many of these visions were enhanced by seemingly disembodied voices. Many felt that these figures were intruders that meant harm against the hospital or patients. However, upon investigation, it was discovered that there was no living presence in the regions where the apparent shadows were observed.
• On the third floor of this haunted hospital, many have reported the fact they have seen a shadow figure of a man approximately seven feet in height that they believe to be one of the past surgeons that practiced in the medical facility. It is common for these reports to come with witness statements claiming that this spirit tells the living to get out and/or leave the premises. Many spirits that seem to be intelligent hauntings have informed several of the living that this spirit does not want them associating with the living. While no one has experienced any type of injury associated with this spirit, they have felt his presence in an overwhelming manner and claim that it appears as if he is hiding something. By participating in overnight ghost hunting, you too may be able to experience this presence. Many that have experienced this presence agree this is one of the main reasons they consider it to be one of the most haunted places in Tennessee.
• There is a female spirit that apparently used to work as a nurse in the basement region of the Old South Pittsburg Hospital that many appropriately refer to as the “Naughty Nurse”. This female seems to touch individuals in places that are deemed private and also whispers sweet nothings in the ears of those that visit the basement. In addition to this female, a spirit that looks as though he was a doctor in life as well as a janitorial spirit may be seen in the basement region of the haunted hospital.
• The third floor of this haunted hospital seems to have quite a few ghosts as well. One of the most popular is a toddler that appears to be either two to three years of age that is active and seems to enjoy playing or urging the living to play with him. Many individuals have stated that he requests to be held. He is fondly referred to as “Buddy”. In addition to this, a spirit of an elderly woman is often observed. Many also claim that they have seen the ghost of what appears to be a female nurse on this floor as well.
If you would like to experience one of the most haunted places in Tennessee, you should consider visiting the Old South Pittsburg Hospital. One of the easiest ways to do so is by participating in an overnight ghost hunting adventure. By staying at this haunted hospital, you may have the pleasure of capturing evidence that suggests that there is life after death. There are many intriguing stories surrounding the Old South Pittsburg Hospital and several tales that make this one of the most haunted places in Tennessee.
(8000 Highway 13 South Hurricane Mills, Tennessee 37078)
Ghost Adventures aired a special on the Haunted Plantation in October of 2003. The woman in white is Beula Anderson who, after the death of her newborn son, died twelve days later from grief. Sightings of her crying and wringing her hands have been witnessed at the Plantation Home and Anderson Cemetery.
After moving to Hurricane Mills in 1966, the Lynn Family heard stories of the Plantation Home being haunted. The Lynns, visitors and employees have experienced strange occurrences throughout the years. A woman dressed in white and two Civil War Soldiers have been seen on many occasions. Strange sounds and happenings are commonplace in the home.
(200 Cragfont Road Castalian Springs, TN 37031)
The museum curators even sell a pamphlet on the haunted history 0f the place. Witnesses have seen candles burning inside at night, heard loud screams and breathing and had the feeling of being followed. Also known as The Winchester House, it was built from 1798 and completed in 1802. General James Winchester was a hero of the Revolution, a Tennessee pioneer, and one of the founders of Memphis, Tennessee. Cragfont has since reopened as a museum. Visitors attest to strong energy levels in the master bedroom and the nursery, as well as a few other areas of the house. The landmark is registered in the National Directory of Historical Places.
(205 Old Hwy 25, Castalian Springs, TN 37031)
Dating to 1828, Wynnewood is the largest existing log structure in Tennessee. Built upon Native American burial grounds, Wynnewood was once an important stop for pioneers and adventurers traveling to the wild frontier west of Tennessee. Andrew Jackson once stayed over, and even outlaw Jesse James stayed there. One of the favorite pastimes of guests was digging up Indian graves and taking the bones home as grisly souvenirs. Some believe the macabre desecration unleashed a curse on the Wynne family. During the Civil War, the Wynne family were divided in their loyalties, with one son dying while fighting for the Confederates. Descendants died from a series of strange and horrific deaths — including the grisly suicide of a grandson who tragically took his own life by drinking carbolic acid.
Visitors and groundskeepers have felt the presence of male entities all over the property. Some people have been touched and pushed, while others have heard voices.
(810 S Water Ave, Gallatin, TN 37066)
Three ghosts are believed to haunt Rosemont the Home of John Guild, built in 1842, has disembodied voices and objects that have moved.Site manager Kendall Masters has seen her daughter’s toys move around, and even captured a photo of a mysterious figure who was not with the group in the picture..”There’s one bedroom upstairs that kind of creeps me out after dark,” she said. “It feels like they don’t want you there.”
(700 Maple St W, Fayetteville, TN 37334) Building is currently closed to all tours.
From Elk Valley Paranormal: The Old Fayetteville (Lincoln County Regional) Hospital is a collection of history and emotions dating back to 1935 when it moved to the site of former Bryson College. The building had been home to the boy’s dormitory during the short life of Bryson College from 1919 to 1929. In 1950, the existing building was torn down and one of the many remodels began. In 1960 a three-story addition known as the East Wing was completed. More additions followed in 1967, with the West and South Wings being completed in 1969. In 1974 more modifications were made to the building and the hospital remained at this location until September 10, 2001. Many of the people of Lincoln County and Fayetteville have a connection of some sort to this building, whether by birth or death. Much like an old photo or childhood memory, time has taken its toll and what once was the center of a historical part of our town gives the appearance of neglect and abandonment.
(1265 Hales Bar Road, Guild, Tennessee 37340)
From Upper Cumberland Ghost Chasers
History: Located on Nickajack Lake on the Tennessee River in Marion County. Hales Bar Dam sits on former Cherokee Land. In 1775 Richard Henderson and Daniel Boone negotiated the Treaty of Sycamore Shoals which persuaded the Cherokee to sale a large portion of there land to Henderson’s Transylvania Company. Cherokee Chief Dragging Canoe was not happy about the sale of the land. He was said to curse the land vowing that it was dark and bloody land. He said the land would be unproductive and uninhabitable for anyone who tried to settle on the land. In 1904 congress approved the construction of the dam. The construction of the dam began in 1905 and was completed in 1913. The dam’s primary job was to keep the whirlpools at bay along the Tennessee River. The dam project was so large that it required over 1500 people working 6 days a week around the clock. Reports say that if a worker was unlucky enough to fall into the cement as it was being poured was buried alive inside the walls. In 1922 the Hale’s Private School was constructed in Guild. Children who lived on the west bank of the river had to travel across the river in the dimly lit tunnels that ran under the dam. The TVA acquired the dam in August of 1939. The TVA was unable to control the leaks of the dam. In 1960 the dam failed flooding the local area along with hundreds of graves that consisted of children”s graves who died during the Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918-1919.
In 1968 the TVA decided to demolish Hales Bar Dam and replace it down the stream with Nickajack Dam. The Hales Bar Dam Powerhouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008. The dam powerhouse now sits empty and is used for boat storage. The area around the dam is now used for a marina and resort.
Reported Activity: Located in the powerhouse of the dam is a natural whirlpool where apparitions are seen. Some say the Native Americans used to see there ancestors in the whirlpool. The Native Americans believed that if they got to close to the whirlpool there ancestors would reach and grab them pulling them down into the whirlpool. There have been reports of lights, orbs, apparitions, evps, screams, scratches, children’s voices, feelings of being touched, and the feeling as if someone is walking through you. Other reports have been sound like chanting believed to the that of former Native Americans. Some have reported seeing an apparition in the cat walk that is believed to be Cherokee Chief Dragging Canoe. If you are brave enough to visit the dam maybe you will come face to face with Chief Dragging Canoe. Hales Bar Dam has been featured on Ghost Adventures and Ghost Hunters.